Friday, November 21

Inspiration


Inspiration. Where do you find it? It has occurred to me, as I work away on my offerings for the OGP holiday Sale, that just about every collection of work that I've put together for our Guild sales has been a mini exhibition. Inspiration comes from so many different places and seems to be the thing that drives me. This coming holiday sale is no exception. My inspiration, my muse, is the thing I collect: mugs. The humble, utilitarian drinking vessel that contains so much personal information and has the power to influence the enjoyment of that cup of tea or cuppa joe for the day is the focus of my work. You know that saying, "Who are you wearing?" Well, in my house, the phrase is, "Who do you want to drink out of today?" Sounds gross but you know what I mean! A few years ago, members of the Guild were asked if they have commercial dishes or potter-made dishes. Anyone who comes to my house will tell you that every mug in my cupboard (the count of which has just exceeded 50) is uniquely made. I'm happy to know all the makers of these beautiful pieces of art.For as many different possibilities as there are in the shape, size, colour, and function of mugs/cups/tumblers, that is the challenge I've given myself as I dream, create and, ultimately, finish the pieces for the sale. There is still much to be done but the collection is beginning to take shape. I look forward to presenting this mini exhibition at the a The Ottawa Guild of Potters Fall Holiday Sale, November 28-30 in the Horticulture Building at Lansdowne Park. See you there!





No comments:

Post a Comment